Thursday, June 18, 2009

Details: Mercury Glass

Long have I been in love with antiqued mercury glass. One of my favorite things to do is rummage through dusty hole-in-the-wall antique shops treasure hunting for unique pieces of mercury glass. I love it all. My most cherished Christmas ornaments, the candlesticks on my dining room table, and many other objects in my apartment are all mercury glass. I prefer the antiqued look as opposed to the flawless chrome-like finish of newer and/or more well taken care of pieces. I just think it gives it a bit more depth and character.

Fabulously luminescent and a glimmer into bygone eras, antiqued mercury glass is exactly what I am looking for. It captures the entire look and feel I would like the wedding to have.

I have spent countless hours coming through design books, wedding websites, and watched hours of Who's Wedding Is It Anyway? looking for inspiration for the reception and centerpieces and nothing really seemed to pop at me. It was all so sleek. . . . . . . . . and modern. And while that look works for others it just is not our style.

I don't remember what triggered it exactly, but I remember the light bulb going off in my head. Aha! Mercury glass centerpieces! Eclectic yet uniform, refined, elegant, perfect. If everything works out according to plan the centerpieces should look something like this:
But different flowers and less modern mercury glass. I have more ideas on where/how to use mercury glass but more on that to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment