Thursday, June 18, 2009

Cultural Exchange

A few months ago after news of Jesse and I's engagement had spread around the office, one of my co-workers surprised me with a makeshift engagement party. Mai came in to work that day with several extra bags than she normally carries in. Moments later, she called me over to her desk where she had set up "tea for six" and these fantastic gooey dates.

"It's not much," she said, "but in Saudi Arabia when a woman gets engaged it is considered a very big deal. I have been wanting to give you something in congratulations so I brought in Arabic coffee and dates to celebrate."

I was so touched that she would have thought to do this. There we stood, the IT guy, Mai, myself, and Lee, huddled in the IT cubicle drinking exotic and fantastic Arabic coffee and eating these fabulously delicious dates.

This was a Friday. She went on to explain that in her country (Saudi Arabia), the end of their week is on a Wednesday. So on Wednesdays, co-workers take turns bringing in treats to "help make the time go by faster". And since it was Friday, our end of the week, she thought this would be a good way to celebrate.

Thank you Mai.

No comments:

Post a Comment