Monday, April 19, 2010

Venue Details: Amway Grand Plaza Hotel


It definitely took some convincing and fancy math work (don't laugh) on my part, but Jesse and I have finally booked our wedding venue! Ever since I was a little girl traveling to Grand Rapids to see the symphony with my grandparents I have dreamt of getting married in that magnificent hotel. We would drive past the hotel flags billowing in the wind, the chandeliers sparkling behind the revolving glass doors. Grandma would tell me how my mom and dad spent their wedding night there. . . To my eight year old self, the Amway Grand seemed like something out of a fairy tale, a place for royalty and the rich and famous: an untouchable place.

Now, 17 years later I will marry the love of my life in that very hotel. Jesse and I have booked the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Ballroom for our ceremony. It really is my kind of room. Five chandeliers, Georgian pillars and moldings, and French Blue walls make this ballroom perfect for our ceremony. It's soft and romantic and dramatic enough. (You know me, there has to me some element of drama.)

For the cocktail hour and reception we have booked the Imperial Ballroom which boasts a spectacular second floor gallery that will allow guests a unique bird's-eye-view of our reception. We'll enter the reception down a grand staircase under a filigree carved wood ceiling. It also has stately Georgian pillars. (I'm sensing a trend.)

The Amway really is proving to be the perfect wedding venue. The staff has been amazing to work with and almost anything you could think of is included with the package price of the venue. In addition to the rooms we will receive a premium open bar, tables, chair, linens, china, glassware, silverware, dance floor, special event lighting, wait staff, bartenders, day of coordinator, half off rooms for Jesse and I and our guests, wedding cake, and several course meal... I am sure I am forgetting something. Bottom line, all Jesse and I have to worry about are flowers/decor and photography. I really don't know why more people don't book this place. Our wedding would probably cost twice as much if we had to rent all of that on our own.

Jesse and I have purposefully had a long engagement. And now that we have put our deposit down on the venue it all seems to be real. I mean, I knew it was real when I said yes but he and I have been dreaming and talking about marriage for such a long time that now there is a venue we've gone beyond day dreaming to doing. This is an amazing feeling! I really am going to marry Prince Charming.....

Fairy tales really do come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment